Thursday, November 4, 2010

Welcome a new member to the family

Finally having finished a large chunk of homework that really needed to get done, I find myself finding the time to post to you lovely folks about some exciting video game things headed my way.

First of all, can we talk about the new Dead Space 2 Lullaby gameplay trailer? Let's.


Cary and I are really, really, really excited. I mean... really excited. This is a franchise that gets more and more awesome each month, it seems like. And the dudes at Visceral are all so great (I will never forget the panel at PAX East) who really have the fans of the games in mind.

Switching to another video game topic: my Xbox is, basically, sort of, no more. The other day, Cary and I were watching a video on it, the picture went funny (which it had done once before) so I turned it off, then turned it back on to an E74 error. Now, about a year ago, I had to take it somewhere for an overheating repair and I've decided that I'm not willing to throw another $100 into a piece of equipment with which I've already had so many issues. So I've decided it's time for...


No, you are not hallucinating. That is a PS3.

Now, let's be clear. Cary and I have never railed against the PS3. We believe it's a great system but Cary started out with an Xbox and when I got back into gaming, I wanted to play online with her. Things, since then, have changed.

I've spent a great deal of time weighing the pros and the cons of switching platforms and the pros heavily outweigh the cons. After trading in all my Xbox games and accessories, the money I'll put into a new PS3 won't be much at all. And let's talk about how Microsoft just jacked up the price of the Xbox Live Gold subscription... I can't even say how much it irritates me that you have to pay to watch Netflix (a service you already pay for, separately) on a console you've already paid for -- isn't paying for my own internet enough?

But I digress. Point being, I'm making some sacrifices in this move but another large reason for it is this blog/podcast/etc. Cary and I like the idea that we'll have two platforms on which we can game and have discussions. And if I ever want to play Left 4 Dead, I can always shark her Xbox for an hour or two... or maybe invest in it on my computer. Who knows.

This purchase, with a bit of luck and determination, will be happening tonight. So get ready. get excited. Better late than never, we'll be able to discuss Heavy Rain and other games we never thought we'd have a chance to play let along chat about on our blog. I hope this gets everyone else as excited as it has gotten me... Holy crap.

4 comments:

  1. I believe you wont regret switching to PS3, I may be mistaken but 2011 will be the PS3 Year... Finally :)

    www.deepwatergames.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Left 4 Dead is dirt cheap on PC.. I believe L4D2 is only 19.99 on Steam, and all the expanded content (Sacrifice, etc) is free.

    I still play my Xbox significantly more than my PS3, I think I just prefer the controller and have more friends hanging out there. I've never really regretted getting my PS3 even if the only real use I've been getting out of it lately is watching Blu Rays. Ico/Shadow of the Colossus double pack was announced though, so I'll be all over that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you are joining the dark side. I think you will be happy with your choice. Not that it will be a huge change because I think they are both great systems. I do think you will enjoy the games because I feel they have more heart and sole in them.

    http://havethumbs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete