Friday, January 1, 2010

End of the Year Roundup

Last night, we rang in 2010 with good food, good drink, and good games. When the night was over, Lynsey and I were left thinking of all the great (and not so great) games we played this year. So we've collected our thoughts and come up with this list of our favorite games of 2009 (for the XBox 360, only). So without further ado, here is our list:

Best Game of the Year
Cary Resident Evil 5
Lynsey Resident Evil 5
Honorable Mentions Left 4 Dead 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Best Story
Cary Batman: Arkham Asylum
Lynsey Shadow Complex

Best/Most Impressive Graphics
Cary Resident Evil 5
Lynsey Resident Evil 5
Honorable Mention Modern Warfare 2

Best Hero
Cary Eddie Riggs (Brütal Legend)
Lynsey Jason Fleming (Shadow Complex)

Best Villain
Cary The Joker (Batman: Arkham Asylum)
Lynsey The Joker (Batman: Arkham Asylum)
Honorable Mention Albert Wesker (Resident Evil 5)

Best Soundtrack
Cary Brütal Legend
Lynsey Shadow Complex

Best Arcade Game or DLC
Cary Fallout 3: Point Lookout
Lynsey Shadow Complex

Best Multi-Player Experience
Cary Left 4 Dead 2
Lynsey Left 4 Dead 2
Honorable Mention Resident Evil 5

Best Single-Player Experience
Cary Assassin's Creed 2
Lynsey X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Biggest Disappointment
Cary WET
Lynsey Ghostbusters

Best Voice Acting
Cary Batman: Arkham Asylum
Lynsey Ghostbusters

Games We Wished We Hadn't Missed
Cary Grand Theft Auto 4 DLC
Lynsey Borderlands
Honorable Mention Halo: ODST

Most Anticipated Game of 2010
Cary Bayonetta
Lynsey Bioshock 2
Honorable Mentions Alan Wake, Fallout 3: New Vegas, Resident Evil 5 DLC

Best Discovery in 2009
Cary Fallout 3
Lynsey Bioshock
Honorable Mention Dead Space

There you have it, Ladies and Gentlemen!

Thanks for the memories, 2009!

6 comments:

  1. I'm very worried you will hate me for raving about Borderlands. It is buggy and you get physically stuck in corners and behind things and the final boss is a complete joke. But! If you like living the life of a mercenary and don't mind an imperfect game, I think you'll enjoy it.

    Excellent list, ladies! Your blog is so great. I know, I've said that before, but it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendall -- Why would we hate you? It's something I'm thinking about buying with my Gamestop gift card so I'd love to hear the pros/cons, and whether or not you think I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I'd go for used if you can find it.

    Cons: The glitches. Playing co-op in the main story was not glitchy, but the first DLC was so glitchy and buggy it would freeze and jump around, and it either does not hand out achievements or it gives it to one player and not another. Pain in the ass. As I said, the final boss was a joke. And the ending was a bit of a letdown. It might have just been b.c. I played as the Lillith who is smaller than the rest of the characters to choose from, but I kept getting physically stuck behind things. I had to blow myself up a few times and go back to the last save point.

    Pros: GUNS. Lots, and lots, and lots, of guns. And they are pretty. I found it addictive and hilarious and was sad when it was over. The music is good too. Cam was pissed he payed full price for it. I would have not minded. It's a good time, so if you are down for that then I think you'll enjoy it! [Geez, sorry for the long comment.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendall,

    Thanks for the info on this game. It's fantastic having someone who's played it give us details like this. Lynsey, like she said, is pretty set on checking it out. Depending on her thoughts (combined with yours) I'll check it out as well.

    ~ Cary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, guys - RE5 for GOTY? Very interesting. Can't say you're toeing the mainstream line... :)

    I don't agree that that game was all it was hyped up to be, but then again, I didn't have a regular co-op buddy. I can imagine that changed the experience drastically.

    Speaking of which, the same is totally true of Borderlands - it suffers hugely in single-player, but is really addictive in multiplayer. Almost in spite of itself, occasionally...

    I, too, am surprised to find myself so excited for Bayonetta. But then again, I thought the demo was balls-out amazing, and from what I've read, the game only cranks it up from there. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kirk -

    Haha, I too was pretty surprised that I settled on RE5 of GOTY. I had a very hard time between that and Arkham Asylum. When it came down to it, I think Lynsey and I both realized that nothing about RE5 frustrated or irritated us - it was an absoutely perfect and fun co-op ride which for sure would not be the same playing single player.

    Thank you so much for the Borderlands comment! We need to check this game out for sure.

    I also played the crap out of the Bayonetta demo. I loved how tight and controlled everything was. Hope to see your thoughts about it soon.

    ~ Cary

    ReplyDelete